Big general statement: I am really happy and grateful for the many daily blessings and challenges that constantly make me mindful of the beauty and mystery of being alive. I pray for the same for you.
Confirmation 2009 wrapped up this past weekend with the jovenes receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation, and many Baptism and First Communion also, on Sunday. The ceremony was really beautiful and all of the youth looked so nice in their fancy clothes! We're trying to plan some more activities for them to stay involved in the parish and I'm excited to continue working with them. They had their retreat the weekend before, and I think it was an especially powerful experience for them on the theme of family. Family is huge down here and such an important support system, especially for youth. We had the kid's parents write them letters (which was a suprise) and then the families actually came on Sunday to suprise their sons and daughters and show their love and support. It was a real blessing to witness this special moment for them.Our theater group is busy working on three different shows right now. One is on the good samaritain which we are performing for a telethon for Hospice. I am playing the flute for a reflection song and am also a nurse in this skit. We are also preparing a skit on the history of CCVI coming to Chimbote, and I get to be the principal sister who came to Chimbote and founded it as a missionary site for CCVI! I'm really excited about this one, especially since it's about the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. We are celebrating 45 years in Chimbote on December 19th and will perform this skit at our celebration. The final skit we are working on is a Christmas show written and directed by two of the men in our theater group. It deals with making Jesus the center of the Christmas celebration. Should be pretty good.
I've also really been enjoying participating in the youth choir, playing flute and singing. It was really struggling when I first came to the parish, but I feel like we've been growing and have a new energy that is hopefully attracting more youth to participate and adds to the mass celebration. I love music, and especially music that praises the divine and moves the soul so it's great to be able to share that with others and encourage them to find the joy that comes from singing from the soul. It's also been a great way to learn and practice Spanish through singing!
With Advent begining and the Christmas season approaching, I have mixed feelings about celebrating my first Christmas ouside the U.S. It's hard to think about Christmas when it's in the 70s everyday and I'm wearing tank-tops and skirts. It will be weird to not have snow or have it be freezing, to not see Christmas decorations everywhere (at least that I know of so far), but I am really excited to share in the Peruvian celebration of Christmas. The focus is definitely more on Jesus and the Nativity story down here, which is a welcome change. I'm glad not to be around the over-hyped commercialism of the holiday and instead prepare to invite Jesus into the world and accompany Mary on her journey. Christmas is definitely a time for family and I will really miss my family and friends, but I also welcome the opprotunity to grow closer to my Peruvian family and friends here, to share this special season with them. I hope that all of you take time to appreciate the relationships and love in your life, and prepare to celebrate the gift of the divine made flesh in our world and our collective responsibility to birth the divine presence into the world today.
Bits and pieces for now. Peace and Love always.
No comments:
Post a Comment