This blog began with my experience in Peru as an Incarnate Word Missionary and will continue to chronicle the footsteps on the path I make by living each moment through thoughts, questions, reflections, and stories. The title comes from the Antonio Machado poem "Caminante no hay camino" which tells how there is no road, the road is made by walking (se hace camino al andar). Blessings on the journey! Bendiciones en el camino!
Thursday, March 11, 2010
La Sagrada 9/3/10
As I'm writing this I am listening to the Christian rock music coming from across the street where a big Christian youth rally is being held. (I'm not there with the youth because it's not Catholic so we didn't know about it / weren't invited). It makes me think of Exodo, the Christian rock band of the parish that I serve: St. Francis of Asisi. One of the other missionaries, Courtney, is a singer in the band and most of the members are our really good friends. I sat in at the end of their practice on Tuesday since theater ended at 10pm and they practice until 10:30pm. I really love how they take a passion of theirs, music, and find a way to use it to express and celebrate their faith as well. There aren't a lot of opportunities for musicians or youth here, and while it's not a paying job it's really great to see the group so dedicated to what they do and enjoy. The band also has some major obstacles in developing as it would like to with lacking funds for instruments and also often lacking support from the parish priests. With Padre Raul now leaving in April as well there is a lot of uncertainty about who will continue to support the group. But despite those obstacles it is still an enjoyable and grace filled experience to sit in on their practices and listen to these musicians come together and give praise through their music. I always feel the Spirit moving particularly strong when I listen to music and let my spirit dance with the rythms and beats.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment