Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thoughts from Wednesday

(So I typed this up a few days ago but the internet on my computer hasn't been working so that's why its a few days behind)

Wednesday was an all around good day, and maybe even one of the best days here so far. The whole day (class wise anyway) was dedicated to critical thinking and social analysis (great stuff!). That evening was MACC night. MACC is the Mexican American Catholic College where I am staying and have orientation. It began with mass at 5pm (in Spanish of course), then dinner at 6pm and after dinner we were entertained by a Mariachi band for an hour! The Mariachi band was fantastic and we all had a lot of fun. Then our group just hung out and watched movies and continued getting to know one another. It was a great day. And…. it rained in San Antonio for the first time in almost 5 months! It was really exciting and refreshing. I have been told that it doesn’t really ever rain in Chimbote, so I tried to enjoy it while I can.

There was a lot of good information covered in our critical thinking/ social analysis class and below are just a few quick thoughts I jotted down during the presentation that I wanted to remember and continue to reflect on.

• We see and hear what we understand
• The analysis should arise out of a lived context. I have to walk and listen before I can start to see and understand and analyze.
• Any critical thinking or social analysis only matters at all because of the relationships – recognizing that we all participate in the divine life and thus should structure our relationships with one another as such. Many are currently excluded from full participation and others isolate themselves. The nature of these broken relationships and communities needs to be analyzed.
• We all must be careful not to impose any of our own ideas or ways of thinking, especially after a long history (which continues today) of imperialism and domination. Rather a spirit of openness is needed to learn and grow from one another. Look deeply and seek to understand.
• Remember that all life is constantly in flux; there is no permanence. We suffer when we try to create a false sense of permanence that we cling to. Help others to embrace the impermanence of life so that all are free to grow and change. Don’t stay stuck, but don’t forget or throw out everything you have already. Explore!
• Do not tell others (those I will meet and work with) “how it is” which just means how I see it, but rather help others to see for themselves, to awaken themselves and come up with their own ideas and solutions. I can’t think for others, but I can help them allow themselves to think. (For everyone reading this too – think for yourself! question everything!)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I will be on retreat during the weekend and then only one more week left until I leave for Peru. Time is really flying by because each day is so full.

Peace and Love

No comments:

Post a Comment